Sun-Tsu, the 5th century BCE military strategist said, “In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity.” As we look back on 2020, it was indeed a year of chaos and opportunity.
Under the leadership of Robin Izzo (past chair) and the executive committee, the Division grew in ways that were unbelievable. As we start 2021, we are still in uncharted waters in terms of in-person interactions and still defining what that new normal will be. I am thankful for the continuity of leadership that the division has with Chris Incarvito (Chair-elect, 2022) Mary Beth Koza as Treasurer, Monique Wilhelm as our Secretary and Robin Izzo as our past chair.
While some 2020 efforts were stalled due to the pandemic (e.g. Division Strategic Planning), other efforts flourished (e.g. pivoting our workshops to online delivery and our excellent programming led by Debbie Decker and Joe Pickel.) It is my goal that as we move through 2021 to expand on the successes that we have had and prepare ourselves to resume normal and better operations. However, to move forward, we need your involvement. Most importantly, your Division Leadership needs you to share your ideas. There are numerous ways to get involved:
- DCHAS Listserv: Got a question? An idea? Share it on your Listserve! Every member of the division has access to this valuable resource!
- DCHAS Idea Board: Leave a post-it on the board to let us know what you think: https://ideaboardz.com/for/DCHAS%20Strategic%20Ideas/3016245
- Present a paper at a National or Regional Meeting: Contact your programming chairs (Debbie Decker and Joe Pickel). Calls for papers for national meetings are out right now!
- Contact me directly: email@example.com
- Read, and share your expertise in ACS Chemical Health and Safety: Division members have free access to ACS Chemical Health and Safety in 2021*!
Also, if you participate in the Amazon Smile Program, please also consider choosing the Division as your designated charity. Every little bit helps division finances.
Most importantly, get involved in your division. It’s easy and worth more than you can imagine!
Here’s to a great 2021!
– Harry Elston, 2021 Chair
ACS Division of Chemical Health and Safety
- * DCHAS members can sign up for a 2021 subscription to ACS Chemical Health & Safety by completing this form. In return, ACS Publications asks that you participate in quarterly surveys on the subject of chemical safety. Once you complete the form and opt-in, you will receive an email with instructions for accessing your new subscription for 2021.
The Latest Posts on this Web page are:
- The Joint Safety Team at the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities: A Model for Student-Led Safety
- CHAS at a Glance, Spring 2021
- ACS CHAS Workshop: Empowering academic researchers to strengthen safety culture
- Anaphylaxis Induced by Peptide Coupling Agents
- CHAS Spring 2021 Professional Workshops, APril 1 – April 2
- Diversity Equality Inclusiveness Respect On Line Networking Event: April 21
- Student-Led Climate Assessment Promotes a Healthier Graduate School Environment: CHAS Journal Club
- Quality Data for Safer Experiments CHAS Chat
- 2021 Annual CHAS Business Meeting
- Lessons Learned from the Creation and Development of a Researcher-Led Safety Organization at The University of Chicago